Quick question: Do you find yourself looking over your shoulder a lot? Thinking about what it used to be like? Wondering, What if we could just go back? Sometimes our biggest “What if?” battle is with the past. We have a long list of might-have-been’s, and could-have-been’s, and should-have-been’s… always leading back to the same question. “What if…?”
It’s normal when you’re in an uncomfortable, transitional season to long for the past. Maybe you’d like to go back and change a few things. Or maybe you think you’ve lived your best years and there couldn’t possibly be anything up ahead that will measure up.
But let’s pause that tape for a moment.
What if you’re greatest days are ahead? What if you’ve been in training to be more, do more, live more, help more, change your world more than you could imagine? It may be in a grand, wide, sweeping stroke or with gentle, soft, hidden movements. But God knows. And He wants to help you pull your gaze from yesterday to today. To tomorrow. To Him in your today and tomorrow. To moving forward with Him.
- What if the last 20, 30, 40 years have been leading you to today?
- What if all you’ve been through is preparing you for a purpose you don’t even know you have yet?
- What if you’re about to break out into the open, if you just don’t stop?
Even if this doesn’t seem like a big issue to you, take some time to ponder today’s question, allowing the Holy Spirit to unfold it for you, personally. Grab a pen and piece of paper and let your thoughts roll out… What if it’s all been leading to now? What have you learned that can be stepping stones to the next season? How did the last season train you?
For more on this topic, check out these posts…
- Are You Grieving for What Used to be?
- Are Your Best Years Behind You?
- I Wish We Could Go Back to The Way It Used to Be
- Making the Choice to Not Get Stuck in Yesterday
- 6 Reasons Why the Best is Yet to Come
How has the last season prepared you for the next? Comment below or on my Facebook page.