“Never judge things by their appearance…
Remember Mary Poppins?
I hadn’t thought of her in years. But on my walk the other morning, a little-bitty car pulled off the road near me. A young lady jumped out, opened the back door, and two extra-large dogs bounded from the tiny back seat. Wondering how in the world they fit into such a compact space, I immediately thought of Mary and her carpetbag!
As a young girl, I loved her quirky, unconventional ways. You could never quite predict what she’d say or do, but it was “practically perfect in every way!” Mostly, I dreamed of having a carpetbag like hers. She could pull the whole world out of that bag, it seemed!
No matter the need, she reached in and drew out the solution.
Watch this short clip to take a stroll down memory lane (or meet Mary for the first time).
A second thought came right on the heels of Mary Poppins.
Craig Groeschel gave an amazing talk entitled “Expanding Your Leadership Capacity” at the 2015 Global Leadership Summit. Within seconds he had me on the edge of my seat as truth resonated to my core. Over and over he emphasized, “There’s more in you than you know! There’s more in you than you know!”
One of the greatest needs of the hour is learning to live from God’s perspective. To rise above our limitations and see ourselves and the world around us as God does.
Let’s look at one of my favorite verses:
“Never doubt God’s mighty power to work in you and accomplish all this. He will achieve infinitely more than your greatest request, your most unbelievable dream, and exceed your wildest imagination!
He will outdo them all, for his miraculous power constantly energizes you.” (Ephesians 3:20 TPT)
Wow. Don’t you wish you had that tattooed on your mind! I have loved and shared the truth of Ephesians 3:20 for many years, yet sometimes it slips to the side when I look at myself in light of a new season or hurdle. You know that feeling? “Sure, God, You can do anything! You’re unstoppable. But me… well, I’ve got my limits.”
Listen to more of Craig’s words:
“You are not who others say you are.
You are not who your own mind says you are.
You are who God says you are.”
Too often, too easily, we take our eyes off of truth and put them on the facts. We live in the mindset of a pauper instead of a son.
- Yes, you’re human. BUT you’re also the home of Jesus’ resurrection life and power.
- Yes, you’ve never been this way before. BUT He has and is your constant companion.
- Yes, it doesn’t look easy. BUT you don’t have to carry the burden; just lean into and trust the One who can.
- No, you can’t see what’s next. BUT it is His joy to show you who He is as you take each step.
When I asked the Holy Spirit what He wanted me to tell you this week, He said we need to learn to live in expectation. I know, this is easier said than done. But there are some concrete choices you can make to walk in this amazing, Kingdom partnership with the Holy Spirit more and more each day.
Recognize who and what you are listening to.
Who are you influenced by?
- Set your eyes on things above.
- Fill your thoughts with truth from God’s Word.
- Take time, daily, to learn to recognize Holy Spirit’s voice in new ways.
- Guard the gates of your heart, that lies and discouragement do not sneak in.
- Build relationships with people you trust and who consistently speak Life.
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you and challenge you to live to your full potential in Christ.
- And whenever you are tempted to say, “I just don’t have what it takes to be who You say I am, Father,” remember this:
“Everything heaven contains has already been lavished upon us as a love gift from our wonderful heavenly Father, the Father of our Lord Jesus — all because he sees us wrapped into Christ. This is why we celebrate him with all our hearts!” (Ephesians 1:3 TPT, emphasis mine)
What obstacles do you face today? What appears to be lacking? Don’t ignore these details. Don’t shrink back. Instead:
Allow the Holy Spirit to reach into you and pull out (from Christ’s Life within) the perfect solution! Expect and watch Him live His life through you!